There are a myriad of do's and don'ts when it comes to your skincare which can be overwhelming, understanding your skin type will help you learn how to take care of your skin and select skin care products that are right for you. Here are The 8 Skin rules to follow.
1. Wear sunscreen daily. Sunscreen is one of the single most important things you can possibly do for your skin! SPF protects your skin against the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, which cause sunburn, skin cancer, and premature skin aging, like wrinkles and age spots.
2. Consistency is key. It's a myth that your skin gets used to a product and stops responding to it. Don't give up on a product and switch to something else, you wouldn't go to the gym a couple of times and expect serious results (we wish) like anything it won't happen overnight, its a process, stick with it and maintain a regular morning and evening routine to get the best benefits out of your skincare.
3. Keep it simple. Less is more when it comes to skin care. Using too many products, especially multiple anti-aging products, can really irritate and disrupt your skin. Instead, focus on the basics; a cleanser, sunscreen, and moisturiser, three products is all you really need but if you have some dry skin you can add a face oil or hydrating serum or if you're struggling with acne you could add on a retinoid. Go slow and steady and you will get results.
"Beauty is in the skin! Take care of it, oil it, clean it, scrub it, perfume it, and put on your best clothes, even if there is no special occasion, and you'll feel like a queen."
- Fatima Mernissi.
4. Skip the makeup wipes Yep, that’s right, they’re barely cleaning your face at all, they leave behind a layer of residue that can break you out and irritate your face so opt for a cleansing oil, which dissolves all makeup without stripping your skin.
5. If in doubt cleanse twice. Our beloved go to micellar waters (why not? they are better than the face wipe) well I'm here to inform you that's not exactly the case. Micellar water is essentially surfactants or oil-in-water molecules, while they do cleanse well and are fairly harmless what they can do is stop other ingredients from penetrating the skin properly, so your moisturiser or serum won't get through to the deeper layers and thus sabotaging your skin routine. The simple way around this is to wash your face afterwards and rinse with water.
6. Invest in a Great Moisturiser. Moisturisers help our skin barrier by providing lipids, protecting it from external environmental factors, and providing hydration to our often thirsty skin. By finding a moisturiser that works for your skin will give you the protection and hydration you need for healthy glowing skin.
7. Eat Well. Adult acne is becoming more and more common, especially around the chin and jawline. You body will remove excess and unnecessary materials through your skin to get rid of substances that don’t agree with you. One of the things we eat on the regular in the west is Dairy, it is mucus-forming and can be difficult for the body digest which is why many people are finding themselves lactose intolerant. So when you get too much dairy for your body to digest, it may come out in the form of cystic acne. Milk, cheese, and yogurt may be the endogenous hormones that trigger oil production in the skin to start the acne process.
8. Get Your Beauty Sleep. Sleep may be the closest thing there is to the fountain of youth. The body repairs itself while you sleep and we need 7 to 9 quality hours each night to do this. Skin makes new collagen while snoozing which prevents sagging. Your body also boosts blood flow to the skin while you sleep, which means you wake to a healthy glow.